Storing spices


I saw my mother and grandmother . ..They store the spices in different manner  I always wonder why they do it ...Now I know why they do it ....Traditionally(India) the spices are stored in masla dani (spice jars ). The spices are clean ,grind and then store in big jars in the pantry.They are taken out in the required amount daily .
I too have the bottles mainly the glass bottles and then put it in the spice jars . The resaon
Type of spice jar is different for each type of spices
Glass is good for all type of spices.The use of plastic should be limited it is not for salt ,amchur(mango powder) or strong smelling spices .


This is what I do .I use glass jars to store spices and spice jars(masaldani) to store spices for daily use .It makes my work a lot more easier and faster.  store salt in the box I get or glass jar for it too.Storing salt in steel or plastic can result in reaction.

 Strong smelling spices like Asfoetida (Heeng), Fenugreek leaves,sauf , saffron ,cinnamon stick ,  Cardamom, nutmeg,chives,dried mint pudina ,dried cilantro,dill,basil,thyme,oregano, yeast etc . they r good in the pack I get or prefer storing in separate jars to avoid the overlapping of smell .
I have this Plastic spice rack too.In this I store the red chill,bay leaves,pepper powder,black pepper,pepper cones, fenugreek seeds .
Spice rack
 Spice rack There are lot of spice rack available but I love Indian spice rack as it is easy to manage and being lazy I hate to open the cover of each jar and use :P .......Personally I do not prefer spice rack.
Spice Shelves
Indian Spices 
Peppers(black,red )
Salt (black,white,sea,rock)
Turmeric
Bay leaves
Cumin(seed,powder)
Cardamom
Red Chilli(whole,powder/papperica,degi)
Mustard seeds
Fenugreek(seed, leaves)
Coriander(seed,powder)
Sauf
Ajwain
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Saffron
Yeast
Baking powder
Baking soda
Cilantro
Asfoetida
 Packed Spices
Chana masala
Kitchen King
Pani Puri

Garam masala
Chat Masala

International
Chives
Anchovies

Dill
Thyme
Oregano











Comments

Popular Posts